Ready to kickstart your exciting career in cyber security operations (SecOps)? In this intensive course, delve into critical topics like cyber frameworks, data encryption, cloud security, network security, threat modeling, shell scripting, vulnerability scanning, and incident response. Gain valuable ethical hacker skills in penetration testing, and show off your awesome new abilities in two resume-enhancing projects!
Designed to prepare you for today’s most in-demand security skills, this hands-on course emphasizes practical SecOps. Students will gain cutting-edge skills by analyzing systems vulnerabilities, implementing defenses against common threats, and using industry-relevant tooling.
This course includes a career coaching curriculum to get you ready for your job search, plus job search assistance after graduation. The course totals 400 hours, including lectures, lab, coworking, and collaborative projects.
The first half of the course consists of five modules focusing on:
- Module 1 Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC)
- Module 2 Data Security
- Module 3 Security Operations 1
- Module 4 Cloud Security
- Module 5 Midterm Project
The second half of the course consists of five modules focusing on:
- Module 6 Threat Modeling and Analysis
- Module 7 Security Operations 2
- Module 8 AppSec and Vulnerability Analysis
- Module 9 Penetration Testing
- Module 10 Final Project
This course will substantially prepare you for achieving the learning objectives of CompTIA Security+ certification. This course covers significant aspects of all six domains required for Security+.
- 1.0 Threats, Attacks, and Vulnerabilities
- 2.0 Technologies and Tools
- 3.0 Architecture and Design
- 4.0 Identity and Access Management
- 5.0 Risk management
- 6.0 Cryptography and PKI
Students register for the CompTIA Security+ SY0-601 during course prework, and take the exam during the final module. The student’s resulting score from taking CompTIA Security+ SY0-601 is then factored into the final grade for this course. Passing this course is largely contingent upon passing CompTIA Security+ SY0-601.
At the end of this course, you will be able to land an entry-level Cybersecurity Analyst or Operations Technician with skills to:
- Assess risk using quantitative or qualitative methods
- Document risk mitigations and perform security compliance audits
- Take a security project all the way from conceptual requirements to technical implementation
- Apply modern cryptographic principles to protect data at rest and in transit
- Use data loss prevention (DLP) tools
- Perform threat analysis and threat modeling using various tools such as STRIDE, cyber kill-chain, and MITRE ATT&CK
- Explore web application security
- Administer anti-malware systems and various security tools
- Analyze IT systems security with vulnerability scanning
- Perform penetration testing
- Configure an intrusion detection/prevention system (IDS/IPS)
- Performing incident response operations and SIEM event monitoring
- Deploy configure, and query a SIEM
- Oversee cloud security efforts using AWS native tooling
- Required: Familiarity with algebra concepts
- Ops 301: Networking and Systems Administration
- Students with previous experience can test out of this requirement in their application. If you'd like to test straight into this course, please make sure you have experience with all of the topics listed on the Ops 201 and Ops 301 course pages.
Once you are accepted into the course, please complete the Ops 401 Prework.