The Veteran Tech Summit is the place where Seattle’s top technology, corporate, education, and civic leaders will showcase the impact that veterans have on the local tech scene.
Seattle’s unique position as a focal point for both burgeoning technological innovation and a strong military presence has already resulted in groundbreaking initiatives launched by local tech companies, which we will explore through this event.
About the Summit
In September 2017, a year after being approved by the VA to accept the GI Bill®, we wanted to find more ways to support the 250 veterans who have come through our doors, which lead to the first annual Veteran Tech Summit.
Code Fellows is hosting the summit on November 1, 2018 for the second year in a row, in collaboration with Four Block, Operation Code, Bunker Labs, and The Mission Continues. We are humbled and honored to be able to partner with these organizations to help the men and women who have served our country to find rewarding new careers in technology.
“The Tech Summit is a place where veterans help other veterans.”
Read the full Q&A with guest speaker Ron Sivonda of Coalfire Systems »
We love that we are able to bring Seattle’s veteran community together in one place, to network, encourage each other, connect with the broader tech community, and open doors for veterans in tech. This event is powered by one of our primary sponsors, Base2 Solutions, a leading consulting agency that helps highly regulated companies achieve their goals with a highly talented engineering team and bleeding-edge best practices.
The Veteran Tech Summit will provide an overview of the talent pipeline and innovation efforts, and feature some of the many career paths available to veterans in tech, including software development, project management, product management, and leadership. Take advantage of this opportunity to network with key community and veteran leaders across the tech, military, and civic sectors.
Who Should Attend:
- Executives and Company Leaders who want to showcase their innovation in the military space and understand the opportunity for talent and innovation.
- CTOs and Technical Hiring Managers who are curious about the value veterans can add to their teams.
- HR, Managers, Executives, and Diversity & Inclusion Leaders to discuss best practices, training, and resources to embrace veteran and diverse talent.
- Veterans Seeking to Transition into Tech who want to understand the technology ecosystem in Seattle and find the right resources to support them in making a meaningful career change.
- Veterans in Tech who want to share their stories and network with others.
- Community Leaders in the Public and Non-Profit Sector who want to continue to leverage resources and talent in the local economy to create opportunities and a more inclusive Seattle community.
4:00 - 4:30: Registration & Networking
4:30 - 4:45: Welcome Address
4:45 - 5:30: Trailblazers & Talent Panel - Highlighting Employers with Innovative Veteran Pipelines
5:30 - 5:45: Break
5:45 - 6:45: Fireside Chats - Featuring Veteran Career Paths into Tech
6:45 - 8:00: Guided Networking - Connecting Veterans with Employers
- Anthony Garcia, Principal Program Manager, Oracle
- Carol Hedly, Program Director, Microsoft
- Steve Anderson, Founder, Sirrus7
- Thomas Martinez, Program Manager, Microsoft
- James Utsler, Program Manager, Microsoft
- Marc Fieser, Software Engineer, Sirrus7
- Nell Shamrell-Harrington, Principal Software Development Engineer, Chef
- Scott Ragan, Software Engineer, Facebook
- Andy Nortrup, Senior Product Manager, Splunk
- Nick Skinner, Product Manager, Google
- Ron Sivonda, Director of Client Engagement, Coalfire Systems
- J. Stephen Riley, Senior Director of Engineering, Apptio
- Ana Visneski, Senior Manager, Amazon Web Services
Employers in Attendance (Recruiting & Networking)
This event will also have several companies who have a commitment to hiring veterans! The featured companies include Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, Capital One, Deloitte Digital, Slalom Consulting, KPMG, Azimuth Group, Base2 Solutions, Chef, and Coalfire Systems.
Get your ticket today and join us on November 1!
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.